Replacing Your Camaro’s Stock Intake with an Elite Carbon Cold Air Intake
If fast cars and horsepower are your thing, you’ve no doubt at least thought about replacing your stock air intake system before. Dyno tests show that after replacing the factory option with a cold air intake system, you’ll see a positive bump in horsepower, speed, and performance. Plus, it will generally sound a lot better, look more polished, and may even increase your fuel efficiency. So what’s stopping you? With the ZL1 Elite Carbon Series from Cold Air Inductions, you can easily replace it yourself.
ZL1 Elite Carbon Series Intake System
Before we jump into how to switch out your stock version for the ZL1 Elite Carbon Series intake, here’s exactly what you get when you purchase this option. Nearly the entire ZL1 Elite Carbon Series system is constructed of carbon fiber material, which is lightweight, extremely strong and durable, resistant to corrosion, and helps dissipate heat quickly. The intake tube is sleek and the air filter box/housing comes with a clear plexiglass window to see the filter inside the filter box and know when it needs to be cleaned out or swapped. The stainless steel clamps keep the system firmly in place when tightened down, and the flexible coupler makes it easy to attach to the throttle body. It also comes with a high performance air filter. This kit can be used for a 2017-2021 Camaro ZL1.
How to Replace Air Intake System
The process of replacing an air intake system might seem a little confusing if you don’t do a lot of work on your car yourself. But it’s really pretty simple, especially when using this kit because it comes with everything you need and a great installation booklet. Check out the video below to see just how easy it is.
- Start by loosening the clamps and screws on your stock or existing air intake. Then make sure to carefully remove the mass air flow (MAF) sensor and detach the PCV tube. When everything is disconnected, pull the whole thing out of the car.
- Next, it’s assembly time, which is super simple. Attach the carbon fiber intake tube to the high performance filter by screwing them together. Insert the air filter portion into the filter housing box, and pop it into place. Place the foam gasket around the lower intake of the filter box.
- Slip the coupler boot onto the throttle body tube (paying attention to the text that indicates which way it should go on). Then slip the intake tube into the other side of the coupler boot. For this reason, you should attach the intake tube side first, and then rotate the air filter box down into place.
- Tighten the stainless steel clamps around the coupler boot first to ensure it is snug. Insert the retainer clips on the air filter body into the grommets on your car to attach them.
- Last, plug in the PCV tube again and gently reinsert the MAF sensor into the appropriate place on the intake tube. As you can see in the video, it may be a tight fit, so take it slowly so as not to cause any damage.
And just like that, you could have a better sounding, better looking, and better performing Camaro. As you can see, installing a cold air intake system is not that complicated, especially when you use the ZL1 Elite Carbon Series. It comes with some great instructions that you can follow, or you can just reference the video above for a more visual look at the process.