A high-quality cold air intake is a great way to add extra power, enhance intake sound and even improve fuel economy. At Cold Air Inductions we offer a range of great induction kits for many makes and models. But which one is right for you?
That’s the question we’ll be answering in this blog as we examine the pros and cons of our sealed and open intake air boxes.
Open Intake Air Boxes
An open intake air box design does not enclose the air filter completely. It offers more airflow than an OEM system as well as an improved intake sound. This design is the one many of our first-time buyers choose. That’s because it’s the easiest way to add more power and torque to your vehicle. Our universal fit intake kit is the perfect solution for anyone looking to upgrade their OEM intake system. Features of our LS/Coyote Universal Open Intake Kit include:
- Engineered to maximize the airflow
- Universal fit – Works on any LS/Coyote engine with a slot-style mass airflow (MAF) sensor and 4-inch outer diameter throttle body
- Can be configured in several ways, making it easy to fit into most engine bays
- OEM quality fit and finish levels
- Includes thermal-coated tubing to limit heat soak
- Fits several popular crate engines and swap motors – including the 5.0 and LS
Closed Intake Air Boxes
A sealed or closed air box design shields the intake system from the hot engine compartment. Our sealed air boxes are much larger than standard, to fit a larger air filter. We use insulated aluminum and more efficient tubing to enhance engine efficiency and boost performance. The gaps that normally occur around a stock heat shield or a weather strip seal are not an issue with CAI’s closed systems as the air filter is completely isolated from the hot engine compartment. Features of our closed intake kits include:
- Inspection window on certain kits – great to check the reusable air filters
- Powder-coated aluminum components for long-lasting performance
- Perfectly insulated air boxes to reduce intake air charge temps
- Precision TIG welding, OEM-spec fasteners and connectors
- OEM sensors remain in stock
Systems Available From Cold Air Inductions
We offer two unique cold air intake systems:
First up is our Elite Series. These intakes are a great upgrade from an OEM system because they:
- Are a bolt-on design requires no modifications
- Use OEM sensors and connections
- Immediately maximize airflow and increase power
If you’re looking for an even more unique upgrade, our Elite Carbon Series is our top of the line cold air intake and offers:
- High-quality carbon fiber construction, aluminum fittings and stainless steel fasteners
- A signature plexiglass inspection window for easy access to the reusable air filter
- Easy connection to the stock sensors and connectors
- A ‘no tuning needed’ installation
Which Air Box Design Is Best For You?
True enthusiasts understand the benefits of an upgraded intake like those designed by CAI. Cold Aid Inductions Inc. is the leading manufacturer of sealed air box intake system for the 2010+ Camaro. HorsepowerJunkies.com even named Cold Air Induction intakes the “Best” air intake around. But, the final decision between an open or closed air box design comes down to what you want from your air box.
Whether open or closed, all CAI intakes replace the restrictive stock air tube with a more efficient tube. The air box is fed cool air through the same channel from the front grill that fed the stock air box. The important features to remember are:
Open Air Box Designs:
- Offer improved sound over a closed OEM intake system
- Tend to be more cost-effective than closed systems
- Add more visual flair under the hood than OEM system
- Can be affected by hot engine temperatures
- Are very easy to install
Closed Air Box Designs:
- Offer higher performance gains than open-box design
- Are easy to check the air filter with handy inspection window
- Improve economy and intake sound over an OEM system
- Ensures intake air is kept cool thanks to the sealed design
- Can be pricier than open air box option
- Offer OEM quality and look
Give Your Car The Best Intake On The Market
Whether you go for the cost-effective universal kit, or invest in a Carbon Elite Series intake, you won’t be disappointed. All our products use stock sensors and connectors; no vehicle tuning is required. Installation is easy and can be done in minutes.
Cold Air Inductions has been a leading manufacturer of quality intake systems since 2004. And we stand by our products with a lifetime warranty. Order your CAI cold air intake kit today and experience the difference.