One of the first things you probably did when you bought your new Silverado was to find a little open road and rev it up to hear that engine roar. If you love to hear that sound and feel your truck respond with lots of horsepower, you should consider a cold air intake. When you install a cold air intake on a Chevy Silverado, you can immediately hear and feel the difference it makes, plus you’ll notice additional benefits as you drive it longer. In this article, we’re featuring YouTuber Chase at LMFSCREW and hearing what he thinks of the Cold Air Inductions cold air intake he installed on his 2021 Chevy Silverado Z71 Trail Boss (with a 6.2L engine). Check out the video below:
CAI Cold Air Intake Install: Step-By-Step
As you can see in the video, replacing a factory air filter with a cold air intake system is relatively simple. Here’s a quick breakdown of how to install a cold air intake on a Chevy Silverado:
- Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery – for safety’s sake.
- Disconnect and remove the factory PCV hose and snip all connecting zip ties.
- Disconnect your mass airflow (MAF) sensor.
- Pull the top/lid of the factory air box (the bottom is retained in place) out, as well as the factory air filter.
- Remove the MAF sensor from your existing air tube, being careful not to damage it. Install it in the new air tube.
- Install the inlet elbow onto the throttle body and attach the PCV hose.
- Insert the air filter into the top of the filter box housing, after removing the protective sticker from the plexiglass window.
- Install the intake tube onto the filter and loosely tighten the hose clamp.
- Install the top of the air box and tube and tighten bolts, hose clamps, etc.
- Connect your MAF sensor and snug all bolts throughout.
- Reconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
Why Replace The Chevy Silverado Factory Filter?
As Chase mentions in the video above, the factory filter is not the worst out there – so why should you replace your factory air filter and install a cold air intake on your Chevy Silverado? It’s not like it’s an ugly factory unit to begin with…and it technically does work fine. So why bother?
First, a cold air intake increases the volume of air entering your engine and ensures it is cooler air, both of which increase your engine’s power. Whether your truck is a few years old or brand new, it’s nice to get a little more power out of your engine when you can. Using our 6.2L cold air intake kit, you can expect gains of 12-14 horsepower. This kit can also be used on 2019, 2020, or 2021 Silverados or GMC Sierras, in addition to several popular 2021 SUVs.
If you drive a truck, your top priority probably isn’t gas mileage (or you’d be driving a Prius instead). But if you can improve it with a simple tweak, why wouldn’t you?
“We all know about horsepower and torque…you get used to it…[but] you always want a little bit more. This thing is going to be absolutely sick!” – Chase, LMFSCREW
Swapping out a stock air filter with a cold air intake system can increase your fuel efficiency by a few miles per gallon, which is always a plus when you regularly drive a larger truck, like the Trail Boss. Or, if you’ve modded your truck similarly to what Chase explains in the video. When you upgrade wheels and tires, you usually add some weigh. An intake can help with the extra work the engine will need to do as a result of those few extra pounds.
“Overall, it’s just a solid intake…I mean, it looks really good I don’t think we’re gonna see any negatives from it – only positives.”
Find Your Intake Online At Cold Air Inductions
It’s very simple to install a CAI cold air intake on a Chevy Silverado. If you want to optimize your truck’s power and fuel efficiency, you’re probably already more than capable of installing a cold air intake within 30 minutes. Don’t just take our word for it – you can check out this and several other install videos on the CAI YouTube channel, and as Chase suggests:
“Maximize performance and style, cool [the] air, [get] more horsepower, more torque and better fuel economy…slap this baby on there and see what kind of gains you get!” – Chase, LMFSCREW
CAI has been manufacturing cold-air intakes since 2004. We offer intakes made from the highest quality materials and crafted right here in the USA, delivering real power and great quality. Shop Cold Air Inductions online or contact us today!